Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Philadelphia Museum of Art

The Philadelphia Museum of Art has a big Van Gogh exhibit. I did not go because I had limited time and did not want to wait in long lines. I really wanted to see the American art wing, with lots of Thomas Eakins and the Peales, who were from the city. I also saw 4 John Singer Sargent works that I had not seen before! After seeing the American art, toured the medieval and renaissance art wing, which had huge doorways from cathedrals and a cloister from a monastery, as well as lots of alters and such. It was overwhelming. Then in the Asian section there was the interior of a temple to Vishnu and a Japanese tea cottage. Later I found whole rooms full of period furniture from European countries. Great place.

I also went to the opening of the exhibits at the Public Library Association conference today. I ended my day with a great meal at the Down Home Diner at the Reading Market. The mashed potatoes were smooth and creamy and the cast iron fried chicken reminded me of my grandmother's chicken.

No comments: