Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor

A benefit of handling books and talking to readers is finding new books to read. My daughter Laura has been working as a substitute circulation clerk at our library this summer and, as you might expect, she has been checking lots of children's books. Every now and then one catches her eye and she brings it home. Last week she brought home Fancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor and shared it with the rest of us. I don't think I have laughed so hard since the first time I read Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw.

It is so appropriate that Laura brought the book home to us, for there was a lot of Fancy Nancy in Laura when she was little. As a parent I could really relate to the 32 page story of a girl who likes to dress up and decorate and go out for ice cream. I don't want to spoil the surprises so I won't say any more. The book rings true and readers of all ages may enjoy it.

There is a whole series of Fancy Nancy books and we are working our way through them all now. Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy is a lot of fun to read. By the way, "posh" is fancy for fancy.


O'Connor, Jane. Fancy Nancy. Houghton Mifflin, 2006. ISBN 0060542098.

1 comment:

Anil P said...

It sounds interesting. Thinking of children's books I'm reminded of thos during my time as a kid. Can't help but reflect on the limited options that were available.

The Internet sure speeded things along.