Thursday, October 19, 2006

CEDAW: Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women

I had a question today about which countries have reservations to the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and which are signatories without reservation. I have not found an easy chart or list to answer this, but I have found some articles about regions, such as one about North Africa and the Middle East. The only way to answer this that I see so far is go through the country reports at the CEDAW website.

Looking at the list, I see this statement about the United States of America: "not a party to CEDAW convention." The convention first passed the United Nations in 1979. We have had time to sign on. How sad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As with most UN conventions/resolutions they are rather meaningless. To my point Syria, Pakistan, Oman and Iraq are all signatories to some version of this UN Convention and we all know how well women are treated in the Islamic world - ever hear of honor killings ?