Friday, May 16, 2014

Chasing Cheetahs: The Race to Save Africa's Fastest Cats by Sy Montgomery and photographs by Nic Bishop

I can not decide whether I like cheetahs or snow leopards best. Luckily for me, Sy Montgomery and photographer Nic Bishop have written books about both. Chasing Cheetahs: The Race to Save Africa's Fastest Cats is the fourth of their books that I have read. The other two featured tree kangaroos and tapirs.

There are certain factors that keep bringing me back to their books:

1. Bonnie brings them home from her library.
2. They are filled with big beautiful photos.
3. Montgomery and Bishop travel to great locations to learn about their animal subjects.
4. They profile a dedicated naturalist in the field.
5. They add important factual tables and reading lists to their conservation conscious books.

In Chasing Cheetahs, the duo travel to Namibia, which has the highest concentration of the world's endanger cheetah population. There they meet with Laurie Marker and her team at the Cheetah Conservation Fund's center, where the abandoned infant and injured cheetahs are studied and harbored until they can be released into the wild. Montgomery and Bishop accompany the scientists on their daily rounds.

I am hooked on these books and hope for more. I see I missed their book on kakapo parrots of New Zealand. Time to place a reserve at the library.

Montgomery, Sy. Chasing Cheetahs: The Race to Save Africa's Fastest Cats. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2014. 69p. ISBN 9780547815497.

No comments: