Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Ricklibrarian Reporting from Indianapolis

Greetings. I have arrived in Indianapolis in time for the start of the 2014 Public Library Association Conference. In the next four days I will attend programs on various topics of interest to those of us working in public libraries. I will share reports here on my blog for those of you who would like to but can not attend. The notes will also help me recall what I heard when I get back to my library.

I have been to most of the PLA conferences since the event in Charlotte, North Carolina in 2000 and have some fond memories, not particularly just about the programs.

Charlotte, 2000 - Great soul food restaurant to which we returned for a second meal.

Phoenix, 2002 - Last conference at which I could read attendee name tags, before lanyards that dropped them to the region of the navel. I used to count states from the name tags. It is impossible now without bending over awkwardly. I saw librarians from over 40 states in Phoenix.

Seattle, 2004 - I saw Nancy Pearl everywhere.

I missed PLA in Boston in 2006.

Minneapolis, 2008 - Girl Scout cookies a month after they were sold at home.

Portland, 2010 - Snow-capped mountains and waterfalls along the Columbia River.

Philadelphia, 2012 - So many historical sites and great art museums.

What will I remember about Indianapolis? Two candidates are 1) tomorrow's possible snowstorm and 2) the Big Ten basketball tournament that is competing with PLA for hotel rooms and restaurant seatings.

Stay tuned.


No comments: