Wednesday, January 02, 2013

ricklibrarian 2013: What to Expect

It is a new year and I am not sure just what to do with it yet. I have a general feeling that it is time to shake things up a bit on the blog. I am inclined to post more about websites, movies, and music than I have in the past year or two, and I also want to get back to discussing reference librarianship topics.

Biography and memoirs will continue to be strong interests in support of my books and their readers, my upcoming article in Library Journal, and my upcoming speaking engagement. I hope to post a supplement to the Top Biographers list in Real Lives Revealed this spring.

A particular interest I have is charities. At the library we are asked about the legitimacy and accountability of charities. We use several charity reporting websites to answer these questions. I have also noticed at home in the last year or two a great increase in the mailings I have received from charities. Checking some of the websites, I find most have good or excellent ratings for proper use of their funds. Still, I wonder about the profusion of mailings. I have started a spreadsheet to see just how many wasteful and repetitive solicitations I am getting. I plan to report periodically.

Of course, I will not quit reading books and hope my reviews will help you find some good titles to read. Let me know if I succeed.

No comments: