Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Theodor Seuss Geisel by Donald E. Pease

Would I read up in the trees
Theodor Seuss Geisel by Donald E. Pease?

Yes, I would read it in the trees.
I would read it while eating cheese.

I would read it on the stairs.
I would read it with friendly bears.

With a yak I would share this tale.
I would even read it to a whale.

With me you never have to plead.
A book like this I will gladly read.

Theodor Seuss Geisel by Donald E. Pease is a quick reading biography in the Lives and Legacies Series from Oxford University Press. I found it a good overview of the life and career of the author of Green Eggs and Ham and One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish. Pease becomes a bit over analytical for me in a few of the book descriptions but he recounts most of Geisel's life with just enough detail to add a little drama to the story. He includes that the good doctor felt bad about his racist cartoons used as propaganda during World War II. How Geisel could care for his wife Helen so faithfully during her first serious illness but then almost abandon her when she relapsed years later is not really explained. Readers wanting more will want Dr. Seuss & Mr. Geisel by Judith and Neil Morgan (Random House, 1995). For many fans, however, Pease's nicely illustrated book will satisfy their urge to know a little more about one of their favorite authors.

Pease, Donald E. Theodor Seuss Geisel. Oxford University Press, 2010. ISBN 9780195323023

No comments: