Thursday, March 25, 2010

Talking with Friends

Wednesday was a good day for conversations at the PLA Conference. I enjoyed the day of meeting new friends and reconnecting with old. I am not going to quote from any of them, for I did not advise anyone that I might blog their words, but I would like to show how far the conversations ranged. Many questions were asked, of which these are just a few:

  • How did you become a librarian?
  • How many of your staff work on your website?
  • How long does it take to write a book?
  • Can you get the free wifi to work?
  • Will the corporations that own electronic content continue to license any of it for libraries to distribute?
  • Who came from your library?
  • What do you want to eat?
  • What do we do if the state fails to fund library systems in Illinois?
  • Which publishers are giving away advanced reading copies of upcoming books?
  • What are the prospects for subscription services when so much of the web is free?
  • How many nights in a row can you go to Powell's Book Store?
  • Is there software for indexing?
  • Are we paying too much for our ILS?
  • Will you be my Facebook friend?
  • What programs will you attend tomorrow?

The first question may be my favorite. The last is what I need to deal with now.

No comments: