Friday, February 05, 2010

The Convertibles Sing Out at Friday at the Ford

I knew we would have a good turnout for the Convertibles at our Friday at the Ford concert early in the week, for people kept asking about the barbershop-doowop fusion quartet. I told inquirers that I had been very entertained the many times that I had seen them. Depending on who asked, I also mentioned that one of the singers was a close personal friend. The quartet even sang at my daughter Laura's graduation party, as shown in the picture at the right. Left to right are Tom, Lou, Ron, and Glenn. Yes, I know the Convertibles and recommend them.

I did not, however, anticipate the crowd that appeared Friday evening. I opened the doors five minutes early and by stated opening time had a room half-filled. Soon all the chairs were taken, and we were dragging more in from all over the library. Latecomers had to stand, and I never did get a really firm count.

I asked people how they learned of the concert. Many said our newsletter and the article in the Chicago Tribune Local, but almost as many said word-of-mouth. A couple said they were drawn in by our new outdoor sign. A few saw our posters around the library. Only one person said she learned of the concert on our website.

The Convertibles rose to the occasion and sang between twelve and fifteen songs that most people knew well, such as "Get a Job," "Only You," and "409." They asked the crowd to join them in singing several times, which they did willingly. Unlike earlier performances that I have seen, they used much less of their traditional barbershop repetoir and sang more of the hits of the 1950s and early 1960s, which really pleased our crowd. Their antics between songs also garnered many laughs. A good time was had by all.

No comments: