Tuesday, July 07, 2009

What I'm Doing at ALA

I have been looking through all of the offerings at the American Library Association Conference that starts July 10 in Chicago and have come up with this plan.

Friday, July 10

The Unconference, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. I am facilitating a discussion about nonfiction readers' advisory using the web.


Saturday, July 11

Gregory Maguire, 8 a.m.-9 a.m. The author of Wicked will speak at the Auditorium Series. It is pretty early and I have to drive in, so I might be late.

Open Knowledge Commons, 10:30 a.m.-noon. Digitized books from someone other than Google.

Booklist Online: Books and Blogs, Made for Each Other, 1:30 p.m.-3 p.m. I'm obviously interested in this.


Sunday, July 12

Net Neutrality and Its Implications for Libraries, 10:30 a.m.-noon. I might get the gist in half the time.

Top Technology Trends, 1:30 p.m.-3 p.m.


Monday, July 13

Lexis/Nexis Breakfast with Bonnie.

Rethinking the Reference Collection, 10:30 a.m.-noon. I am a reference librarian first. This is about the heart of my work.

From the Book and Beyond, 1:30 p.m.-3 p.m. More readers' advisory.

Tracy Kidder, 3 p.m.-4 p.m. I enjoyed Mountains Beyond Mountains and My Detachment: A Memoir.

Cokie Roberts, 5 p.m.-6:30. I heard Roberts in New Orleans and would enjoy hearing more.


I will probably add other presentations. I will be blogging about the programs I attend at both PLABlog and here at ricklibrarian.

I will also be checking in at the ABC/Clio exhibit to see my book.

2 comments:

Citizen Reader said...

Rick!
Good luck at the conference and have fun! I wish I could attend the unconference; I bet you're going to have a great discussion. I'll have to bug you afterwards to find out what everyone had to say.

Have a great weekend in Chicago!

ricklibrarian said...

It will be a sadder ALA without you here. You may, of course, have a full report.