Friday, November 21, 2008

That Book Woman by Heather Henson with Pictures by David Small

Last week in the Chicago Tribune book section, which has gotten smaller with the redesign, I noticed a children's book that I had not seen called That Book Woman. Always enjoying a good librarian story, I borrowed a copy of the nicely illustrated book have read it a couple of times.

Through the voice of a boy who helps his father on their dirt poor, rocky, and steep Appalachian farm, Heather Henson tells about the surprise of getting books delivered by a librarian on a horse. Aimed at five to eight year olds, this picture book depicts the true story of the Pack Horse Librarians who delivered books to remote corners of Kentucky during the Great Depression. A note at the end of the book tells that these dedicated librarians were men and women who would ride through nearly any weather to get books into the hands of readers. You have to like a story like that!

More libraries should get this sweet book.

Henson, Heather. That Book Woman. Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2008. ISBN 9781416908128

2 comments:

Tripp said...

I recently checked this book out of our library, it is excellent. I got a bit misty eyed at the end.

ricklibrarian said...

I'm glad you liked it. I hope kids like it as much as adults.