Wednesday, September 05, 2007

ricklibrarian on Google Book Search


When I was at the annual conference of the American Library Association in June, I saw that Google Book Search was building pages about books with content drawn from across the web. The treatment seems to vary book to book. Some have sample chapters, illustrations, reviews, other book recommendations, and, of course, links to buy the books.

Yesterday, someone found one of my reviews there and then visited my blog. Above is the proof. Click it to get a larger view.

I got the impression at the Google Book presentation that some Google editors are selecting items to load onto these pages. If so, it would be great if libraries with book reviews could claim some of this space regularly. It would also be great if Google would link to library holdings (Worldcat) on all of these without readers having to know to load a gadget.

No comments: