Friday, December 29, 2006

Five Things You May Not Know about Me

I was tagged by Jenny!

I am fairly mysterious, so there is much you do not know.

1. I have been a Houston Astros fan since the mid-1960s when I listened to games on radio. From the ranch in west Texas where we lived in 1965, I could get the games on either San Antonio or Shreveport radio stations. Jim Wynn and Bob Aspromonte were my favorite players. I wanted to grow up to be a third baseman.

2. I assisted the children's librarian with puppet shows at my first library job in Austin, Texas. My favorite show was Strega Nona. I got to be Big Anthony and throw spaghetti colored yarn all over the puppet stage.

3. I was a stay-at-home dad for six and a half years. During that time I became very fond of afternoon naps. I took Laura to lots of libraries, which I saw from the viewpoint of a user instead of a librarian. I think this has been as important as library school for me.

4. Rail Baron is my favorite board game. My friends and I have a trophy made from an old model engine that is passed around to the most recent winner. My stategy is to buy a Super Chief as soon as possible after securing a rail line into New York. I always aim to buy the Union Pacific but the Santa Fe is a good alternative.

5. My favorite color is blue, no yellow, no, aaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

I tag Tinfoil + Raccoon, Nonfiction Readers Anonymous, Maggie Reads, Feel-good Librarian, and The Actress and the Bishop. Three of you are somewhat anonymous, so we could learn much from your memes. Please write.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rick!

Oh, and hope to see ya at Mid-Winter. I'm sure you will be bloggin' the conference! :)

Anonymous said...

Rick:
Will you consider it cheating if I answer the meme here? I try to keep the blog about the books, rather than me (because they're more interesting than me, let's face it). But I feel I now know 5 things about you and should reciprocate.
1. I hate shopping, and being sold to. (Okay, many people know this about me, but probably not the degree to which I hate being marketed to.)
2. I think cats are cuter than babies.
3. I think it's ridiculous in our post-industrial world that anyone has to work past noon.
4. I like really, really spicy romance novels. Okay, I'll own it: I like erotica.
5. I vacillate between feeling grateful for where I was born and ashamed of what we are doing out in the world.
There you go! Hope you're not too scared.

ActLikeOne said...

I have accepted the challenge. It was quite fun.