Sunday, July 30, 2006

Cast of Shadows by Kevin Guilfoile

Let the discussions begin. How far are we from a world like that found in Cast of Shadows by Kevin Guilfoile? Cloning technology is advancing rapidly. People already live virtual lives on the Internet. What distinguishes the novel's time from ours? Not much other than the intensity of the author's prose.

As a reader, I found the story full of surprises until nearly the end, and I have questions about some aspects of the story after finishing it. I particularly wonder about the actions of Chicago Tribune editor and the police in the story. Would they really do what they did? I also wonder about Justin's motives near the end and whether the scene he creates would be believied.

Cast of Shadows is not a perfect novel and probably will offend a number of readers with its sex and violence, but it certainly is filled with topics to discuss. It will also keep many reading past their bedtimes. Make sure your library has a copy.

Guilfoile, Kevin. Cast of Shadows. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2005. ISBN 1400043085

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that this was an interesting read...and fiction isn't typically my thing. I found it a good page-turner in a Robin Cook way, but also thought it might be an interesting book to pair with "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro for a book club or discussion.