Sunday, June 18, 2006

I'm Going to ALA in New Orleans

My conference badge for the American Library Association Conference in New Orleans arrived Friday, so I think I have everything I need for the conference, which starts later this week.

For months I have been reading items from and contributing to the 2006 ALA Conference Wiki that Meredith set up earlier in the year. There is a tremendous amount of good information there about the conference and New Orleans. More will be added during and after the conference, including links to reports on the various programs presented. Look there to learn who is blogging the conference.

I have created a Google Notebook with information I want for the conference. It links to several New Orleans websites that I have been reading. I am building a packing list there. I can add to the notebook from work or from home or from the conference. I will link to the best blog reports there later.

I arrive in New Orleans on Friday afternoon. I have reserved a seat on a shuttle from the airport to the Hilton Garden Inn, close to the conference center. I plan to check in to the conference right away to avoid the Saturday morning lines. Then I hope to have several hours exploring New Orleans with my camera. Look for the results on my Flickr page.

I start attending programs early on Saturday morning. As of now, this is what I plan to attend:

Saturday

8 am, Publishers Packages in the E-World*
10:30 am, So You Want to Be a Reviewer
1:30 pm, Tools for Collection Assessment
4 pm, Genealogy and Internet Basics
5:30 pm, Madeleine Albright
10:30 pm, Blogger Bash

Sunday

10:30 am, Establishing and Promoting Readers' Advisory
12 noon, Robert Pinsky at the author's stage
1:30 pm, Your Library's Intranet*
4 pm, LITA President's Program: What Do We Know About User Behavior*

Monday

10:30 am, Next Stop Blogging
1:30 pm, What You'll Read Next
5 pm, Anderson Cooper

Tuesday

8 am, Cokie Roberts

I will blog three* of those programs for the LITA blog. I will report on some of the others here at this blog.

No comments: