Thursday, September 29, 2005

Glimpse of a Fountain at Stanford University


Glimpse of Fountain
Originally uploaded by ricklibrarian.
Stanford University has one of the most beautiful campuses that I have ever seen, mixing Mediterranean architecture and California landscaping. Unlike most universities with buildings spanning many decades, Stanford has kept a consist look about its buildings; they all have the clay tile roofs and the creamy colored stone. The Main Quad is a stunning space; no photo can really represent its vastness. I can imagine anyone lucky enough to work or study at Stanford would be very sorry to leave.

I got a little lost getting to the campus. I made a wrong turn off of Pasteur Drive and found myself boxed in by medical centers and then I was in a shopping complex. I eventually made my way through the Arboretum to approach the Oval and the Main Quad. Because it was after 4:00 p.m., I was able to park across from the Cantor Center for the Visual Arts for free. There I found the Rodin Sculpture Garden. There is a lot to find if you can find it. Look at a map carefully before you attempt to visit the campus.

I saw more people on bicycles on the Stanford campus than I have ever seen anywhere. I was reminded of Chinese bicycle commuting. I took a lot of photos. Click on this one to find more.

No comments: