Saturday, March 04, 2006

Wimbledon Green: The Greatest Comic Book Collector in the World

Who is Wimbledon Green? Is he Don Green? How did he get to be fabulously rich? Does he have the Wilbur R. Webb collection of classic comic books? Who is telling the truth?

Though I read plenty of comic books as a child, I have not been attracted to many of the recent graphic novels, but I like Wimbledon Green by Seth. It is a cleverly told story, adapting a documentary technique. Comic collectors and dealers tell us what they know of Wimbledon Green, and we have to decide which of them to believe. Green himself tells us several tales about his collecting adventures, which are at times a bit too fantastic to be believed.

In Wimbledon Green, collecting comic books is not child's play. The community of collectors is unkind at times. The collectors are obsessed, greedy, ruthless. "Why are they so opposite their virtuous comic book heroes?" one collector asks.

I like how the cover of the book reflects some past era. It looks like something I would have found at my grandmother's house. I recommend it to mature comic readers.

Seth. Wimbledon Green: The Greatest Comic Book Collector in the World. Montreal: Drawn and Quarterly, 2005. ISBN 1896597939

No comments: